Code Kata Day

Code Kata Day


Kata 1: 99 bottles of Kotlin

Kata 2: OCR

In the second kata we went back to the days of yore when printing fancy stuff required ASCII art. In this case, we get a file with numbers in fancy ASCII and we need to parse it to PHP. I spun the wheel and was told to use Python for this, but to get my head around how to parse stuff like this I started out with a proof of concept in PHP. Unfortunately even getting this to work with PHP took me way too long, so I ended up not being able to finish a Python version. The PHP version works like a charm though. It turns out one of the biggest challenges I had was the fact that ASCII also relies heavily on spaces and my PHP IDE of choice (PHPStorm) strips spaces at the end of a file automatically. My code was working for a long time and I didn't realize the problem was with the file I was trying to parse!

Kata 3: Pig Latin

Kata 4: Blackjack

Why would one do a code kata?

Why would I attend a code kata event?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tailwind CSS Preset for Laravel 5.5

Short and safe array iteration

PHPStorm's performance